Practical info

Do you have practical questions? Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions. 



How important is my attendance?

We expect you to attend a maximum of classes and to respect the deadlines for distance learning assignments. This will not only increase your chances of success, but also enable your teacher to monitor your progress.

Our administrative team carefully registers the attendance of our students every lesson and forwards the attendance register to the Ministry of Education. Your attendance record is an important prerequisite to take exams.



What if I am unable to attend classes?

What if I am unable to attend classes?
It is important that you justify absences within a week after the start of your absence through an online form. This week starts counting from the first day of your absence. You can download the form here. Please fill in the form and send a signed version of this document to our administrative offices.

Valid reasons for absence are:

  • illness of the student or a member of his/her family living under the same roof; 
  • professional circumstances on the basis of a certificate; 
  • obligations in educational establishments (exams, internship,...); 
  • public transport strike;
  • exceptional weather conditions; 
  • brief leave of absence (funeral, wedding of a family member or relative). More information can be found on

When taking paid educational leave, it is necessary to substantiate your absence with an official document such as a certificate from your employer or doctor.
Also in the case of long-term illness a supporting document may be requested.

Absence teacher


What happens when the teacher is absent?

In that case, our administrative staff will do their utmost to inform you in advance. It is therefore important that you mention your e-mail address and mobile phone number at the time of registration, so you can be easily contacted. Please advise us as soon as possible of any changes. You can do this via your myCLT account or through our administrative offices.

Paid Educational Leave


Am I entitled to Paid Educational Leave?

When taking language courses at our centre, you are entitled to Paid Educational Leave. If you wish to use this right, you will have to hand in a completed CLT application form to our administrative staff. They will in turn draw up an application form (certificate of regular registration) which you should then submit to your employer without delay.

Donwload here the application form.

Keep in mind that per period of three months you have to obtain a certificate of attendance from our administrative offices and that unjustified absence per period may not exceed 10%. In case you do not comply, you will lose your right to Paid Educational Leave for six months. More information can be found on

Centre regulations


Where can I find CLT’s regulations?

Our centre regulations constitute a document laying down the rules between the centre management and the student. Registering as a student of CLT implies you accept and respect the present regulations.

You can download the regulations here. Most sections of these regulations can also be found in this list of questions and answers. Should you have additional questions, our administrative team will gladly help you.

Combi (blended learning)


What is blended learning ?

Blended learning is a course format that combines 50% interactive e-learning from home with individual feedback and 50% face-to-face instruction with focus on oral communication skills and intensive coaching by the teacher. 


  • The blended learning courses are not intended to replace the regular programme; they run parallel to it.
  • The course objectives of the blended learning programme are the same as those of the regular curriculum.
  • The number of participants is limited to 20 per group.
  • The face-to-face instruction sessions are focused on learning content and on speaking. At home you have access to an e-learning platform which will guide you step by step to practise what has been taught and to assess your own progress. You can always get help from your teacher who will assist you via email or via the forum.
  • Each module includes contact sessions as well as sessions of online homework. The latter take up the same amount of hours per week on average as the F2F sessions. An examination concludes the module. 
  • Only the contact hours count for Educational Leave (Betaald educatief verlof). You have to justify every absence.
  • Students who successfully complete a blended learning course obtain a certificate.

Conditions of entry

  • Elementary computer skills: you can type and surf the web.
  • Access to a computer with a fast internet connection (necessary for the audio and video material).
  • Self-discipline
  • You commit yourself to attending every single face-to-face instruction session. You can only learn to speak and practise speaking in class.
  • The blended learning formula requires a strict diary. The online work is as important as the face-to-face instruction. You need to have completed the online tasks within a fixed period. The face-to-face instruction can only proceed if deadlines for online work have been met.

Calender of the face-to-face instruction sessions : Semester 1 - Semester 2 

Free demo lessons :

Demo lesson Engels
Demo lesson Frans
Demo lesson Portugees
Demo lessen Spaans
Demo lesson Zweeds



I don’t have a computer. Is it possible to do the online learning exercises at CLT?

After making an appointment with our administrative team, you will be granted
access to a computer in our centre. We expect that the computers and Internet which we make available, are used in a proper manner. In case of inappropriate use, restrictions may be imposed.



Which certificates can I obtain at CLT?

After completion of the evaluation you can collect your certificate or partial certificate from our administrative offices. A certificate confirms the completion of a course and is awarded at the end of a specific level. A partial certificate confirms
the completion of a course module.



What is evaluated?

The evaluations are in line with the curriculum objectives. You will find the specific objectives of your training programme in the coursebook  and/or your teacher’s electronic diary. They outline the progress you may expect in terms of language skills (reading, listening, speaking and writing) and supporting knowledge. 


When are the evaluations organised?

As regards one-year studies, two contact exams are organised: an interim evaluation in January and a final evaluation in May.

For semester courses, an evaluation takes place at the end of the module.

The exact dates will be announced via your teacher's electronic diary. The dates for the oral examinations will be determined by the teachers in consultation with their students.

We also work with a system of staggered evaluation. For example, class tasks and online tests can be used for evaluation purposes.


What happens if I do not succeed?

When you have one or more failed grades, your results will be discussed during deliberations. A team of teachers (the evaluation committee) examines whether there are any mitigating circumstances to allow you to succeed. They also put together a remediation path designed to work on your areas for improvement.
The deliberation criteria can be found in the centre regulations.


How do I find out the decision of the evaluation committee?

You can consult the results of the evaluation via your myCLT-account. This information is available at the latest three weeks after the evaluation committee has come together. Once you know your results, you are offered the opportunity of
a feedback session with your teacher.


Where do I go for complaints with regard to my evaluation?

In case you have complaints regarding your evaluation, you can contact our ombudswoman, Ann Van den Bossche. You can reach her via or on 016 32 56 61. She will investigate your complaint and take on the role of a mediator between you and the evaluation committee.

Examination period


When are exams organised?

The specific dates can be found in your teacher’s electronic diary. The dates of the oral examinations are determined by the teachers in consultation with their students.



Can I use certain aids as a disabled person?

In the framework of adult education, we can make certain educational aids available. Such as the services of an interpreter of Flemish sign language or a speech-to-text reporter. If necessary, course materials can be adapted, such as transcription into braille or large-print. If you require any of these special educational aids, please do not hesitate to contact the principal.



Can anyone register at CLT?

In order to be admitted to a CLT course, you must comply with the regulations concerning full time compulsory education. This implies that you are, at the time of your registration, at least 15 or 16 years old, and have completed the first two years of full time secondary education.

In addition, you must have the Belgian nationality or comply with the regulations concerning legal residence. If you are a resident of an a EU country, your online registration is only valid once our administrative offices have received a copy of your ID.

If you are a non-EU national, you will have to bring one of the following documents to our administrative offices:

  • a valid passport with valid visa;
  • a valid proof of identity from a country exempt from a visa requirement together with the document ‘Aankomstverklaring’ (Arrival Declaration);
  • an electronic foreigner ID card issued in Belgium;
  • immatriculation certificate(orange card); 
  • another proof of legal residence.

How will my level be ascertained?

If you opt for a starter level, you can register without any further formalities. If you have prior knowledge of the language but do not hold a study certificate, you will have to take a placement test, the result of which will determine your level.

If you already hold a certificate of a certain level, issued by an officially recognised centre for adult education, you will not have to take a placement test. You can register for the next level at our administrative offices. Please make sure you bring the required study certificates with you.


How do I proceed to register as a new student?

You can register online through our registration module where you have to create a myCLT account. Please make sure you keep the username and password of your own choice with you, because as a student you will need them on regular basis.

You can also register at our language centre during the opening hours of our administrative office.

More specific information can be found under ‘Registration info’.

Registration fee


What does it cost to register?

The registration fee is laid down in the adult education decree. This decree specifies
a standard rate of €1.5 per hour. Registration fees amount to €180 for a standard course (120 hours). The registration fee for an intensive semester course (70 hours) amounts to €105.

The amount increases with the cost of course materials such as syllabi and photocopies. This price may vary per module. More information on price details
is available under the section 'Our 18 languages’ of this website, where you can select the language of your choice.


What is not included in the price?

Course books are not included. They can be purchased at bookstore ACCO where you receive a CLT discount upon presentation of proof of registration. You can find more information under the section 'Our 18 languages’ of this website where you  can select the language and level of your choice .


How can I pay the registration fee?

We accept payments online or in person via Bancontact, Visa and Mastercard.
Our administrative offices also accept cash.

If paying the full amount of the registration fee all at once is problematic, a request for staggered payments can be filed with the principal. Discretion is guaranteed.


Can I use training cheques to pay my registration fee?

CLT is a recognised centre within the system of training cheques. As an employee in Flanders or the Brussels-Capital Region, you can purchase training cheques via the VDAB, for a maximum value of €250 per calendar year.
Training cheques can be used to pay both the registration fee and course materials, including training manuals. The main advantage about this system is that you pay only half of the registration fee. The other half is paid by the Flemish government.

For people who have already completed higher education, training cheques only apply in the context of a career-oriented education. Therefore, a certificate from your mentor indicating that the language training is necessary in terms of your career, is required.

More information about training cheques can be found on


Is it possible to obtain full registration fee exemption?

Yes, it is possible to obtain full exemption from the registration fee, provided you can submit an OCMW (public social welfare centre) attestation or VDAB (Flemish Public Employment Centre) attestation. More details are available in our centre regulations. Please keep in mind that you can only obtain exemption from the registration fee, but not from course materials.


Can I obtain a partial exemption and pay only part of the registration fee?

Yes, you can be partially exempted from the registration fee, provided you can submit an OCMW (Public Social Welfare Centre) attestation or an attestation for persons with disability (66%) or an attestation from a Centre for Basic Education. More details are available in our centre regulations. Please keep in mind that you can only obtain exemption from the registration fee, but not from course materials.


What do I do when I want to cancel my registration?

Should you realise at the start of the course that you will not be able to follow lessons, it is possible to obtain a refund of your registration fee. This refund can be paid in full or in part.

Refund claims are to be addressed, in a letter or e-mail, to the Director ( Please mention your bank account and registration number. More specific terms are available in our centre regulations.

Child allowance


Are my parents entitled to child allowance while I am following language courses?

If you are under 25 and still legally dependent on either of your parents, the latter may still benefit from child allowance under certain conditions.  In this case, you need to fill in a document from Famifed (the Federal Agency for child allowance).


It is important you know that - in order to benefit from child allowance - you will have to register for several modules. For language courses in our centre, this is an average of 17 hours of classes a week. More information on child allowance can be found on



Where do I go with complaints?

We believe in the power of open communication and invite our students to enter into an open dialogue with us. Whatever the subject of your complaint may be, do not hesitate to start a conversation on the matter with the person directly involved. If you prefer another approach, our principal has an open door policy and will be happy to look into the matter.

Arrive late and leave early


What do I do if I cannot respect the start or finish time of classes?

We trust that you do your utmost to respect the start and finish time of classes.
In case of an exceptional situation preventing you from being on time, whenever possible, please inform your teacher in advance. If you are obliged to leave class early, you must inform your teacher. Please note that this will have consequences for the insurance.

Course schedule


Where can I find the timetable?

The timetable is in our information guide which you can find in our foyer. You can also consult the timetable on our website under the heading ‘Our 18 languages'.



Waar heb ik les ?

All our classes take place in CLT/ILT (Dekenstraat 4) or in VHI.

Log in to myCLT to find information about your classrooms. You can also consult the noticeboards in the CLT entrance hall to find out where your class takes place. 


Map classrooms CLT/ILT/VHI

Map entrances CLT/ILT/VHI



Where can I park?

CLT does not have a dedicated car park for students but paid parking is available. In the city centre, there is parking Ladeuze or on the outskirts of the city, the Philips car park.

KU Leuven puts parking space at your disposal in the Parking Servotte car park (Parkstraat 53). This car park is situated within walking distance of our centre. At the time of registration you can apply for a parking card. The price is € 63 for an entire school year and € 31,5 for a semester. This does not include a € 30 deposit which is refunded if you return the card to our administrative team before June 30th.

The car park is open to CLT students from 17:30 to 22:30 on weekdays and from 8:30 to 13:30 on Saturdays. Only students whose lesson starts at 17:00, have access to the car park from 16:45 onwards. The parking card only gives access to the car park during the class hours of the chosen course.

Placement test


How long is the result of the placement test valid?

The result of the placement test remains valid for two school years. Namely the school year in which the test was taken and the following school year.


How can I take a placement test to determine my level?

You can take a placement test online. Or you can take this test in our centre.

The duration of the test depends on your level. You should count on 15 to 60 minutes. At the end you will find out your score and corresponding level. Keep in mind that you can take the test only once.

The test aims to place you in the right course for your skills and indicates the level at which you may start. It is not an attestation of language skill.

For more information about the placement test, go to 'Registration information' in the menu. 


When can I taken a placement test?

You can take a placement test during the registration period which is outlined in section ‘Registration info’ of this website.


What if I disagree with the score of the placement test?

When in doubt about the grading, an additional oral and/or written test can be scheduled.

Administrative staff


Which tasks are handled by the administrative team?

Our administrative team is responsible for handling student administration. You can approach them with regard to course timetables, classrooms where lessons take place, teachers’ contact information, Paid Educational Leave forms, ... 


What are the opening hours of our administrative offices?

The centre is open from 19 August till 30 June:

  • Monday to Friday: 9:00 am - 12:00 and 16:00 - 20:00
  • Saturday: 9h00 - 12h00

The centre is closed during holiday periods and from 1 July till 18 August.

Student card


Which discounts does a CLT student card offer?

A CLT student card entitles you to a discount at various museums and film theatres (CLT film of the month at cinema ZED), at the Plato bookshop and when purchasing a KU Leuven sports card.  It also gives you access to the university libraries. Keep in mind that this card does not offer you a discount in the student restaurants of K.U. Leuven.



Where do I go for questions and suggestions?

As a language centre, we value the opinion of our students. You can share your ideas or suggestions through the satisfaction surveys we conduct on a regular basis. You can also share your suggestion with us through the online suggestion box. Or you can approach the teacher or CLT employee concerned and share your opinion directly with him.

If you feel it is appropriate to involve the principal, you can directly contact Maryse Boufflette. This can be done via phone (016 32 56 61) or e-mail (

Holiday period


What are the dates of holidays and class-free days?

Holidays and class-free days are in line with those of secondary schools. The specific dates can be found in our centre regulations.



Am I insured?

All our students and staff are insured against bodily harm in case of an accident occurring at the centre or on their way to or from the centre. An important condition is, however, that the shortest way to and from the centre is taken and that the accident is reported to the secretariat without delay; at the very latest, the next working day.






Wifi at CLT?

We are connected to the Wifi network of KU Leuven. As a result, staff members and students can connect to this Wifi network. As a Telenet customer you can also connect to the Wifi network. More information can be found via this link.

If this does not apply to you, you can request a guest account at our administrative offices. This account will give you access to our wireless network during the school year.